Depressing Holidays




The Great Pacific Northwest is no easy place to live in the winter months unless you are a vampire. The sun comes out rarely and it rains and it's cold. Not fun. It was nice to be back in Cincinnati although it was colder than it is here, the sun was out and you could get some vitamin D in your skin and feel like a normal human. Coming back to Vancouver has been rough when it comes to the weather. I have really felt a major affect from the gloom.

Our community joined forces with the Jacob's Well community this morning for some good old fashioned worship like we usually do every Thursday. However, today brought with it some extra needs to be praying for. We just found out that a friend of ours named John had overdosed this week and died. I knew John from Community Kitchen and seeing him out on the street. He slept often in front of the Jacob's Well doorway. John was recently in rehab treatment, but quit and happened to overdose. We know his mother as well and pray for comfort for her. She is a great story of recovery and healing and is a pleasure to have around on some Tuesday nights. Then yesterday a woman got ran over by a truck out front of our place and is in pretty serious condition. I can't imagine how terrible I would feel if I ran someone over with a truck. These are just a couple things that have happened thus far this week.

I have noticed that the whole month of December was really tough and people seemed more depressed and angry. I am sure that the holidays brought with it some added saddness for those who have no one or anything good in their lives. Being outside in this weather is pretty miserable. We are so lucky to have a place of comfort and rest. A little sunshine would be nice. I think that might bring some smiles and comfort. I think it would remind people of something better that will come. We are promised resurrection and redemption. Yeah.

2 Comments:

  1. Reverb said...
    Boo to all that stuff. Sorry to hear about John...I wonder if he was around while I was there.

    Drugs = Satan
    carrie doan said...
    yes, it has been a rather heavy week with all the incidents.

    hope awaits..

Post a Comment