Dance on the corner

Hey folks. I just got my computer back yesterday and it seems to be working great. Mac just handed me over a new battery with no questions asked. I thought I would have to put up a fight. I really would rather just do things the easy way. It doesn't always happen that way though.
I wanted to tell you all about a friend of mine that I have made since coming here to Vancouver. His name is Dance and he is a first nations homeless man here. He has claimed the corner of commercial drive and kitchener. Not too long ago he was sleeping one morning on his corner and a large semi came up on the sidewalk and ran over Dance's feet. The truck crushed his feet and leaving one foot with a large open wound, which has gotten severely infected since that morning. The truck driver took off without even turning back. Since then Dance has gotten a lot of attention from news and doctors and lawyers and people walking down the street. Some give him money and time or whatever.
How do we respond as christians? Especially Christians that live right next door. The best I can come up with is to first of all see to it that justice is being carried out by making sure things are put right. Beyond justice there are things that need immediate attention and care. For example he is lying on the street and it is hard to go get food or drink. I don't feel responsible to do that twenty four seven because one thing I havn't mentioned about Dance is that he actually does have housing, but chooses to stay on the street. I think we often get too caught up in that stuff and miss needs that we can help with at the time. There are always needs to have met. The greater challenge is making sure things are made right. As Christians we should seek justice in our community and not just medicating our problems. How do we stop things from happening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment