am I a racist?

Yesterday I just happend to watch the old family favorite...Remembering the Titans. What a great movie. It's funny, cus I have actually had racism on my heart a lot lately. I'm not sure if it's because Vancouver is one of the most diverse cities or what. I have begun to really search myself and ask myself the question, how many people do I really KNOW that are different than me? Probably not too many. Since being in Vancouver I have found some difficulty in getting to know people who are from different parts of the globe. Cultural differences and accents and other things require more effort to really break through and get to know a person that is totally different than me and my midwestern way of thinking.

A few clips to illustrate differences and what it could look like to over come those things.

I never thought of myself as subconciously racist, but maybe I am. I spend most of my time with people who are as similar to myslef as I can find.

A few lines from some recent bedtime reading...

"Tolerance allows us to survive; love allows us to thrive."

"Stereotypes exist because we are not willing to form friendships with others who differ from us"

"If we aren't willing to diversify in order to connect to God's heart, then we should be willing to diversify ourselves to show God's heart to those in our lives who do not yet follow Christ."

"When we choose to reach out and love everyone around us, we will experience a glimpse of heaven on earth."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment